7: 00 pm to 8:00 pm
Strategies for Entering Art Events
Bob’s suggested questions to consider during his presentation:
What is a juried show? A contest? A seal of approval? A resume item? A tool for artistic development?
What does it mean to be selected or not selected?
- The importance of a sense of humor (the ‘first impression’ score)
- Understanding what the jurors have been asked to do; making a show; the role of context
- Seeing beyond rejection; the jurors have been asked to put together a show; they’re not really there to say “no!” they’re there to say “yes!”
- The show reveals itself (novelists like to say “I didn’t know the character was going to do that…”)
- Inevitably, the jurors reveal themselves, too…
What to enter?
- Unified or diverse entries?
- Big category or small?
- Unique entries; non-fungibility
- New or unusual pieces